Project Barracuda - City of Westerville, OH
The Barracuda Web Filter is a complete content filtering and application blocking solution designed to enforce acceptable Internet usage policies by blocking access to objectionable content.
The Barracuda Web Filter includes powerful, award-winning protection against Internet threats (including spyware and viruses).
SC Magazine’s Award - Finalist SC Magazine Names Barracuda Web Filter as a Finalist in its Reader Trust Awards For the Best Web Filtering Solution category.
How Are You Monitoring the Web Surfing Habits of Your Staff?
Increasingly, it is becoming more important for organizations to have the ability to filter web content so that they can respect their employee's personal interests while decreasing the following risks to their organization:
- Legal Liabilities - how will you know if an employee engages in an illegal or inappropriate activity? How are you monitoring which websites your employees visit?
- Bandwidth Consumption - how often has your network connection come to a grinding halt because the person in the office next to yours is downloading music or listening to streaming audio such as an Internet radio station? How are you able to define which websites your employees can or cannot visit?
- Productivity - do you find that your employees are often distracted by being able to surf the Internet and if so how is your organization able to establish and enforce your Internet usage policy?
Powerful, Enterprise-Class, Web Content Filtering Solution
The Barracuda Web Filter combines preventative, reactive, and proactive measures to form a complete content filtering and web-security solution. The Barracuda Web Filter:
- Blocks access to websites based on domain, URL pattern, or content category
- Blocks downloads based on file types
- Blocks application access to the Internet, including IM, music services, software update utilities, etc.
- Integrates with "Safe Search" filters built into popular image search engines
- Provides an integrated gateway and desktop spyware protection
Click to view larger
Designed for the enterprise, the Barracuda Web Filter enables organizations to set up custom policies for particular users and groups across customizable time ranges. The Barracuda Web Filter integrates with popular LDAP directory servers, such as Microsoft Active Directory, for both authentication and group membership information on which to apply custom policies.
NEW "Soft" Blocking
With "soft" blocking capabilities, administrators have the power to monitor and warn users who are not complying with their organization's Internet usage policies. In addition, Barracuda Web Filter version 3.1 includes more comprehensive reporting functions.
Web Filter Soft Blocking in Firmware 3.1
Web Cache Communication Protocol (WCCP) is a Cisco-developed content-routing protocol that provides a mechanism to redirect traffic flows in real-time. It has built-in load balancing, scaling, fault tolerance, and service-assurance (failsafe) mechanisms.
No Software and No Modifications Required
With no software to install and no modifications required to your network, the Barracuda Web Filter is easy to install. It has an intuitive user interface for maintenance and monitoring, making it a virtually maintenance-free solution. Even system updates are made automatically by Barracuda Central, an advanced technology center where engineers work continuously to provide the most effective methods to combat the ever changing spyware variants.
Updates are performed hourly so that your Web Filter can block the ever changing virus and spyware variants.
3 Modes of Deployment
- Inline – Simple and complete – transparent proxy – no config required on the client. Can block Malware protocols.
- Forward Proxy – HTTP filtering only – but out of the Data Path. Need to tell the clients to use the Barracuda as proxy.
- NEW! WCCP – Requires a Router or Switch that supports WCCP but can proxy to multiple BWF. Load balancing and failover and scalability. Similar to Forward Proxy but the config is on the Swich and not the client.
Barracuda Web Filter CIPA Compliance
The Barracuda Web Filter, previously known as the Barracuda Spyware Firewall, has been deployed by many schools and libraries as part of their overall policies to comply with CIPA, the Children's Internet Protection Act.
- Schools and libraries subject to CIPA may not receive the discounts offered by the E-Rate program unless they certify that they have an Internet safety policy and technology protection measures in place. An Internet safety policy must include technology protection measures to block or filter Internet access to pictures that:
- (a) are obscene
- (b) are child pornography, or
- (c) are harmful to minors, for computers that are accessed by minors.
- Schools subject to CIPA are required to adopt and enforce a policy to monitor online activities of minors; and
- Schools and libraries subject to CIPA are required to adopt and implement a policy addressing:
- (a) access by minors to inappropriate matter on the Internet
- (b) the safety and security of minors when using electronic mail, chat rooms, and other forms of direct electronic communications
- (c) unauthorized access, including so-called “hacking,” and other unlawful activities by minors online
- (d) unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal information regarding minors
- (e) restricting minors’ access to materials harmful to them.
Schools and libraries are required to certify that they have their safety policies and technology in place before receiving E-rate funding.
Source: FCC - "Children’s Internet Protection Act" - http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cipa.html
Barracuda Enables CIPA Compliance
The Barracuda Web Filter is ideally suited to help public schools and libraries enforce CIPA policies in an easy and cost effective manner. Used in combination with the Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall, to manage email use, and the Barracuda IM Firewall, for managing instant messaging traffic, the Barracuda Family of products can enable CIPA compliance for nearly all facets of a network.
||Content filtering database of millions of URLs broken into 58 categories for targeted content filter policies.
||Safe Search features to block the media caches of popular search engines
||Identification of where threats are coming from, both externally and internally
||URL block and allow lists
|1(c), 2, 3(a)(c)(e)
||File type blocking
||Prevention of keystroke logging and personal information theft
||Monitoring of Web traffic for virus and spyware downloads
||Inspection of network traffic for spyware infection activity
||Instant Message blocking
||Client Lockdown features to prevent system hacking and hijacking
||Examination of inbound and outbound spyware and Web surfing activity
||Prevention of new spyware infections
||Clean up of detected infections from Windows desktop computers through the Barracuda Spyware Removal Tool
||Blocking applications which can be dangerous to the minors
||Blocking hacked, hijacked, or otherwise compromised systems
*corresponds to the numbers/sections in the “What CIPA Requires” section of this document